Andy Roddick is returning to the tennis courts this summer.
The former world number one was the top pick in today’s Mylan World TeamTennis Marquee Draft. Roddick, who first started with Mylan WTT in 2000, will play for the Springfield Lasers. This will be Roddick’s 7th Mylan WTT season and his first since 2010.
“I first played World TeamTennis when I was just starting out and have played throughout my career so I’m excited to be back,” said Roddick. “I’ve always liked the competition and the fan energy. I love being on a team and am looking forward to playing for the Springfield Lasers this July.”
Sloane Stephens, currently ranked No. 17, was selected by the Philadelphia Freedoms with their first-round pick. The 20-year-old Stephens first played Mylan World TeamTennis in 2009 as part of an all-amateur USTA team.
The newest Mylan WTT franchise, Texas Wild, will bring the world’s best doubles team to their new home court in Irving, Texas. The Wild, who relocated to Texas this year after 20 seasons in Kansas City, protected the rights to Bob and Mike Bryan who are back for their 11th season.
Venus Williams, who led the Washington Kastles to their second straight undefeated season and championship title in 2012, returns to the nation’s capital for her 10th Mylan WTT season. The three-time champion Kastles will be taking a 32-match win streak into their 2013 season opener.
Two of the top Americans on the ATP Tour will once again play for the Sacramento Capitals. The Caps protected their rights to Sam Querrey and Mardy Fish. Querrey is ranked No. 20 on the ATP Tour and Fish is No. 32.
In a trade completed prior to Tuesday’s draft, the Boston Lobsters acquired the rights to Mark Philippoussis from the Philadelphia Freedoms.
Teams will complete their lineups next month when the Mylan WTT Roster Draft is held March 12 in Indian Wells, Calif. Dates for all Mylan WTT matches will be announced during the week of March 4 when the 2013 schedule is released.
Each of the eight teams will play 14 matches – seven home, seven away. Eastern Conference teams are the Boston Lobsters, New York Sportimes, Philadelphia Freedoms and Washington Kastles. Western Conference teams are Orange County Breakers, Sacramento Capitals, Springfield Lasers and Texas Wild.
The eight teams will compete in two conferences during the regular season which concludes on Wednesday, July 24. The top two teams from both the Western and Eastern Conference advance to the 2013 Mylan WTT Conference
Championships which will be hosted on Thursday, July 25 by the top-seeded team in each Conference. The 2013 Mylan WTT Finals will be contested on the home court of the Eastern Conference Champions.
Mylan WTT Marquee Draft Selections (in Draft order)<ol>
- SPRINGFIELD LASERS: Andy Roddick (1st round selection)
- TEXAS WILD: Bob and Mike Bryan (1st round protection)
- BOSTON LOBSTERS: Mark Philippoussis (1st round protection – acquired rights via pre-Draft trade with Philadelphia Freedoms)
- PHILADELPHIA FREEDOMS: Sloane Stephens (1st round selection)
- ORANGE COUNTY BREAKERS: no Marquee Player selection
- NEW YORK SPORTIMES: no Marquee Player selection
- SACRAMENTO CAPITALS: Mardy Fish (1st round protection); Sam Querrey (2nd round protection)
- WASHINGTON KASTLES: Venus Williams (2nd round protection)
Marquee Player Matches (dates TBD when schedule is released in early March; additional visits could be added before season):
- BOSTON LOBSTERS: Mark Philippoussis (3 matches).
- NEW YORK SPORTIMES: Visiting players are Andy Roddick (Springfield Lasers) and Sloane Stephens (Philadelphia Freedoms) for one match each in Albany, N.Y.
- ORANGE COUNTY BREAKERS: Visiting players are Bob and Mike Bryan (Texas Wild), and Andy Roddick (Springfield Lasers)
- PHILADELPHIA FREEDOMS: Sloane Stephens (2 home matches). Visiting players are Bob and Mike Bryan (Texas Wild) and Andy Roddick (Springfield Lasers).
- SACRAMENTO CAPITALS: Mardy Fish (2-3 home matches); Sam Querrey (3rd week of season). Visiting players are Bob and Mike Bryan (Texas Wild).
- SPRINGFIELD LASERS: Andy Roddick (1 home match). Visiting player is Sloane Stephens (Philadelphia Freedoms).
- TEXAS WILD: Bob and Mike Bryan (1 home match). Visiting player is Venus Williams (Washington Kastles).
- WASHINGTON KASTLES: Venus Williams (1 home match). Visiting player is Andy Roddick (Springfield Lasers).